Saturday 4 September 2021

Thermostat and Vacuum temp sensor switch replacement

 A few more jobs.

A few weeks ago I ordered a replacement Vacuum switch that turns on and off the vacuum advance on the distributor when the engine is cold. The one in the engine has a broken port and was not serviceable.

In order to replace the sensor I needed to remove the alternator bracket and alternator in order to get a spanner onto the sensor due to its location. I had been putting this job off as the fan needed to come off and the fan pully in order to get to the alternator brackets. In the mean time I ordered a replacement water temp thermostat and thermostat housing. While the engine seemed to be keeping itself cool enough, I wanted to be sure it had the right thermostat in the engine. Plus the housing was a bit rusty, so I decided to replace both. 

Here is the old vacuum / water temperature switch. Note, it should have 3 outlets, however, one has been broken off. 


Fortunately, the XE Falcon fitted with the 351 Cleveland also used the same type of switch so was able to source one locally on ebay.

Here is the new one installed. Note the alternator and brackets have been removed.


As part of this work I researched the type of thermostat needed for the cleveland. While a standard type does work, it is suggested to use a low flow type. Unfortunately these are not available off the shelf from most car spares places, so I found and ordered one on ebay. The Dayco 180Deg F (or 80 Deg C) thermostat from Repco and Autobarn was $98. The one I found on ebay was $45 including shipping.. So a order was placed.

Here is the old thermostat and housing.

Here is the new housing and thermostat.



As part of the install it also also recommended that a restrictor place be installed in the block just under the thermostat. As these are made from brass and about $90 I decided to not order one and just see if the engine has one installed.

Here is what the restrictor plate looks like. (Before installation).

Here is the one that is currently in the block.

Here is the thermostat and new vacuum temp switch installed and reassembly started.


Once all the parts were reinstalled, I reconnected the vacuum pipes back up to the distributor.
As it has a number of solenoids to manage the vacuum timing both when cold and warm, I wanted to get the routing of the vacuum pipes correct.

Here is a diagram showing how it should be. 

I then took the car for a test spin and checked the vacuum pipes and all seems to be working. As the engine is now warm, I cant tell if the vacuum switch is working when the engine is cold so will have to wait till tomorrow to check and see.
Time will tell.

Here is a picture of the engine with all the vacuum pipes connected.


Next task is to get a replacement door hinge pin and bushes to repair the slightly sagging drivers door.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...