Saturday 18 September 2021

Repair right side mirror

 Mirror repair

The next job on the list was to repair the right hand side mirror. The issue with the mirror was that it would not stay in the set position as the ball in the back of the mirror no longer maintained pressure on the flexible plate in behind the mirror.

I ordered a replacement mirror from Custom Mustangs with the view that if I needed to break the original mirror to open up the pressure assembly then I had a replacement.

The replacement mirror I ordered was a newer style convex mirror. This will enable me to see into the very large blind spot that the car has due to the large rear quarter and driving on the left.

I removed the mirror assembly from the mirror casing and then tried to gently pry off the original mirror. Fortunately it came away easily and did not break.



 I then drilled out the rivets holding in the pressure plate assembly.

I then used a hammer to push the centre of the plate where it contacts the ball so that it would apply more pressure on the ball.

I then drilled holes into the old cast in posts with the view to add screws. This did not work as well as planned as the holes in the posts ended up to close to the side wall of the post and that made it impossible for screws to be installed.

I then spun the assembly around a 1/4 of a turn and drilled holes directly into the backing plate. I then added longer screws through the holes into the backing plate. this now applies enough pressure to stop the mirror from moving, but enough freedom to enable the mirror to be moved to the desired location.



As the back of the mirror cant be seen once installed, it does not matter that the screws protrude a little.
I then used clear silicon to install the original mirror and then more clear silicon to install the newer convex mirror.

Now I need to wait for the silicon to set and dry, then reinstall with the single screw and set into position.

My next large job is to replace the front drum brakes with disk brakes.
I have been able to source a new booster and master cylinder that is period correct for the 71-73 Mustang. My plan is to source replacement front spindles and callipers from a wrecker from a locally built XC or later V8 Fairlane / Falcon / LTD. I will then service the callipers, purchased new bearings and disks and set about installing the parts. I just need to wait for lock down 6.0 in Melbourne to end to enable me to go and collects the parts.

Stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...