Friday 9 April 2021

Good original untouched Mustang

 Time for some documents and pictures of original looking stuff.

Where to start on this one.

Lets start at the back and work my way forward. 

While a little rusty looking, the spare wheel looks to be original with the original tyre installed on it. The tyre still has the yellow paint mark on it. I will ask around some of the Mustang forums to see what I can find out. I'm sure there is some sort of date code on the tyre to identify if it is from 1972.






Next is the seatbelts. To register the car in Australia, it needs to comply with ADR regulations as at 1972 per the build year of the car. There are a few things that need to change, such as headlights (so they point slightly to the left rather than the right). The seatbelt webbing needs to be Australian ADR compliant and the US ones are not compliant. Rather than just replacing with off the shelf units, I plan to get the original ones remade using the original buckles and with Australian compliant belts. There is a place in Braeside that can do this work. My 1st step is to find out if the buckles and lets are the original type and set up. The front seats have a lap sash set up and then an extra shoulder strap the clips into the lap sash buckle. The drivers side push button buckle (pictured below on the right) is different to the other 3 so I suspect it has been replaced at one point. All 4 seats have inertia real on the lap sashes. I can order reproduction belts from the US and local Mustang suppliers, but none look like these ones. So I suspect they are unique to the 71 to 73 series sports roof or fast back cars. The current belts are faded and the flash picture washes them out a bit. But they are ginger in colour to match the seats and the carpet. 




The car are a number of original stickers still on it. It is missing some, but the following still exist from factory.




It also has a number of tags still on the car. The engine tag that appears to be 5th month 1972, the carby tag, and the body build tag. I removed the body tag to take a picture and then reinstalled it from where it came from. I'm yet to determine if the carby is the correct one. I suspect it is at it is a 2 barrel as per the engine code for the car.



 Here is the back of the body tag to help read the codes.


Other parts in the engine bay have a number of form part numbers on them and appear to be 1972 codes or dates. The glass appears to be the original tinted glass. The left rocker cover still has the OK stamp on it. the wiper motor has a 1972 date. The fan shroud usually break from mechanics leaning on them as they are only fiberglass. This one looks to be original fibreglass. The radiator has a leak and will need to be repaired. The headlights are not sealed beam and are different. One is a GE and the other is a Wagner, so I suspect they have been replaced at some point in time.









The ignition and boot keys appear to be the original set. The car was not optioned with a lockable glovebox.

The car same with the original owners manual and warranty and a emissions document. As the car was ordered for California, it was optioned with the emissions pack (extra piping etc under the bonnet, all of which is still installed).










Well that's about all for now. Will do some research into the carby and alternator to see if the part numbers are correct.

Almost forgot.. I replaced the spark plugs this evening. I now remember why I like working on a Windsor 351 rather than a Cleveland. This car has the original headers on it, so the original engine lift rings are still installed and this makes it very hard to install the plug leads on #2 and #7 cylinders. But with a bit of perseverance I got there. I cant imagine what it would be like to replace the plugs on a big block 428 or 429!

I'm told the car is a 1 owner that lived in LA and then moved to Texas at some point. Old told that documentation is on its way from the US (shipped separately from the car). So once I receive that, I will hopefully learn more about the history of the car. 

Please continue to follow along.


 

4 comments:

  1. How cool Brendan.
    Looks like its in not too bad a condition for its type and age. Glad its you and not me,not sure my old bones could bend and do all the neat stuff you have ahead of you. Enjoy the journey mate.
    I still pine for my Red VF Limited edition Black gigga.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh should be fun. Mostly mechanical stuff to fix.

      Delete
  2. Love it mate. Keep the posts coming. How many miles has it done? And more importantly, have you given her a name yet?????
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ian, has done 08682 miles. So that would be 10,08682 miles.. As for name.. Could be Eleanor after the 1973 gone in 60 seconds.

    ReplyDelete

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...