Saturday 24 July 2021

Rear indicator conversion

 Better with amber.

The stock build of US mustangs for the stop lights and indicators is for the stop lights to flash when the indicator is turned on. While it is perfectly legal for my 1972 Mustang to retain its red flashing indicators to register it here in Australia. The main concern is that no other cars (or next to no cars other that old US imports) have flashing red indicators. So the worry is that people will not recognise the flashing as an indicator and run up the back of the car. Up until now I had been keen to keep the tail lights and wiring standard. 

I gave up on the idea of stock lights and devised a way to stop the brake lights from flashing and add a Amber globe (LED) to the centre clear section

After studying the wiring diagram I determined that I could run 2 wires from the wiring harness that plugs into the steering column loom to the back of the car and connect them to new LED's that I installed into the centre section that has a clear lens for the reversing light.

I then also need to cut and join the wires that go from the brake switch to the 2 wires that go to the stop lights at the back and remove the indicator switch from the circuit. 

While I hate cutting factory loom wires, I figured that this needed to be done as I would not be going back to red flashing stop lights for indicators.

Here are a few pictures of the install and the end result.







A while back I installed LED lights in the dash. Here is a night time picture of the end result.


This weekend I am also finishing the repair of the rust in the rear quarters. The plan is to just repair them with body filler. Then once the car is road worthy and I have time, I will get new lower rear quarters and do it properly.

Here is a picture of what needs to be repaired. As can be seen, a repair has been done before and the rust is now significantly worse.




More pics to follow of the rust repair.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for the turn signals.
    Would be very grateful if you could post a picture of the wiring on the steering column and the brake switch mod.
    I'm about to tackle this same issue with my 73'
    Wiring is my kryptonite lol

    ReplyDelete

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...