Monday 17 May 2021

A few more little jobs

 Jobs, jobs, jobs

Not pictures to show for the progress at this point. Just recording what jobs have been done over the last week or so.

I have been away in Brisbane for work so the work on the Mustang has been a bit slow.

Last weekend I finished adjusting the drum brakes. It was not pulling up very well so I decided to buy a drum brake adjuster tool rather than using a screw driver on the adjuster cog. This was much simpler. I found the front left to not be adjusting, so pulled the drum off and found I was turning it the wrong way. So once this was found, the adjustment came easy and now the brakes are working nicely.

Some weeks back I purchased a new AM/FM antenna with a rectangle base to match the factory one. I then set about replacing the antenna. I removed the plastic cover inside the wheel arch to enable me to get to the rubber bung for the cable. It was nice to find no rust in the bottom of the A pillar. Soon the antenna was replaced and moved onto the next job.

I purchased new wiper rubbers and rubber tube to get the windscreen washer's to work. The blades went in nicely, and then set about trying to get the washer to work. Fortunately the powered pump on the bottom of the factory washer bottle works perfectly. The pipe from the bottom of the bottle to the bonnet is taped inside the main wiring loom and I have found that the pipe has a hole in it or is blocked. So I have left the original pipe in place and run another pipe along the side of the wiring loom. After cleaning out the washer jets and a bit of messing around I now have the washers working perfectly.

I'm also working on cleaning out the gutter where the boot rubber sits. It is a messy job as the factory one is glued in place. This is a slow job and am plugging away at cleaning it out with a solvent that does not harm the paint.

As the car came factory with the basic dash set up, it does not have gauges for the engine oil pressure and engine water temperature. It just has "idiot" lights.

I have purchased a simple 3 gauge set that I will mount under the dash so I can keep an eye on the engine's vital signs. These gauges are yet to be installed.



I still have my large jobs list to work through so thats 1 step at a time.

I am about to order the front seat belts.

I have new tie rod ends to install and then will go and get a front end alignment.

I have found that JustMustangs has the replacement bottom rear quarters, so will go and pick those up in a week or so.

Once the belts are done, I can arrange to take the car to Ferntree Gully to get the exhaust replaced.

Until next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...