Sunday 23 May 2021

Dash lights not working

 Can't see the gauges.

After doing some reading about the dash lights in the 71-73 Mustangs, I found that the illumination is fairly poor from the factory globes. Looking at my car, the dash lights are dim and a number of the other globes do not seem to work. So I set about removing the dash to clean it up and find out why things were not working. Only the alternator light seems to work. 

In preparation for this task, I found that the dash lens was a bit cloudy, so I picked up a new lens for the dash from Custom Mustangs.


Once I removed the dash I found that there are 13 wedge type globes in the back of the dash, all held in by plastic screw lungs with brass tabs in them. Of the 13, only 1 was working. The rest had some corrosion on the contacts of the globes.

This picture is before disassembly.



After a bit of work with a small file, I cleaned up the tabs and got all the globes working. While researching the various types of LED's that can be purchased via ebay, I found a forum discussion that suggested that I leave the globes in the high beam, indicator, brake warning, temp warning and oil pressure warning lights and only replace the illumination ones with LED's.

I have now ordered the LED's and hopefully will arrive later this week to complete the install.




I have now reassembled the dash with the new lens and have also cleaned up the assembly and removed 48 years of dust and grime. For the indicator lights, there was foam that sealed the dash assembly to the dash fascia. All this foam had failed and was like dirt. I found some black packing foam and have cut it to shape to replace what should be there.


These are a few test cuts before I found the best way to install.

I also took the time to disassemble the air vent and clean that also.
It also has some light foam attached with double sided tape to provide some resistance to the went so it can be swivelled.


The vent is now clean and works a treat.

Once the new LED's arrive, I will install, test and then reinstall the dash.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...