Saturday 29 May 2021

Tie rod ends

 Moving down the job list.

As Victoria is now back in lockdown due to a few cases of community transmission of Covid19, all kids sports is cancelled for the weekend. This has enabled me to get stuck into the jobs list on the mustang.

I'm still waiting for the new LED's for the dash lights so the reinstall of the dash has been delayed.

Todays job, amongst others was to replace the tie rod ends on the front steering.

The old tie rod's has perished rubbers so needed to be replaced. I suspect the ones on the car are the originals as they don't have grease nipples on them.

The task to replace them was relatively simple.







Fortunately, new tie rod ends are relatively cheap at about $35 each. 

Once the tie rod ends were replaced, I then set about replacing an old main water pipe hose clamp as the main lower radiator water pipe was leaking. After a quick run to Autobarn (click and collect) I also picked up new new heater hose pipe as the hoses on the car are fairly old.
Before long, the hose clamp was replaced, the heater hoses were replaced and the water temperature sensor was replaced with a variable sensor for the new gauges I have to install.

I also had another go at reinstalling the oil pressure gauge adapter into the back of the block. Again this has not been so successful as the adapter has a taper on it and it not sealing. I tried some high temp sealant but this did not fix the issue. I'm just being cautious in not over tightening the adapter as I don't want to damage the thread in the block or break the brass fitting. I will have another look at this tomorrow to see if I can come up with a solution. It is not leaking much but is leaking and this is not acceptable.

The next job is to replace window and door rubbers in the 2 doors and back quarter windows.
Then I will install the wires for the gauges ready for the dash to be reinstalled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...