Wednesday 18 August 2021

Steering wheel repair

 Fixing the cracks.

Now that the car is registered, I have set about fixing some small issues that have popped up due to its age.

The 1st job was to fix the large cracks and missing pieces from the steering wheel. With time and heat, the plastic on the wheel tends to crack and the steel within the wheel does not move. Hence the large chunks and cracks in the wheel.

I used epoxy putty to fill the gaps and then painted the wheel to match the rest of the ginger trim.

Here is the wheel showing the cracks before I started.







Here is the repaired and painted wheel.




While doing a few other jobs and watching a number of videos of other 71-73 Mustangs, I discovered that the crash pad should be ginger on a car that has ginger trim. The crash pad in the car was black. 
I removed the dash pad and found that it is an after market crash pad with California Mustang embossed on the back. So I decided to have a go at painting the crash pad ginger.

It came up fairly well I think.
Here is a picture of the black one.

Here is the painted and installed crash pad.


I think the ginger colour looks better.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...