Sunday 8 August 2021

Carburettor Rebuild

 New kit for the Motorcraft 2100 series 2v carby

The job list for this weekend has 3 tasks. 

  • Rebuild the carby and add / replace the fuel filters
  • Grease the upper front wishbone bushes
  • Move the Oil pressure, Engine temp and tacho gauges as they are hard to see.

First up is the carby. 

The poor old carby looks very second had and very grimy. There is a significant amount of carbon build up on the carby and the vacuum port on the inlet manifold.




I took a number of pictures during the disassembly process.





The warm air line that goes from the inlet manifold to the coke was badly rusted so I have removed it and not reinstalled it.

After 3 cans of carby clean and a can of brake clean, then cleaning and reassembly, the carby looks and more importantly, works much better.






Once all the glamor shots were taken, the carby was reinstalled and after a bit of cranking to fill the fuel bowls, the engine fired up and now runs really nicely.

Next job to grease the front end.

As the standard upper arms just have blanks in the place of grease nipples, I purchased some right angle grease nipples and installed them to grease the front end. This fixed the problem instantly.




As I was only able to purchase 2 right angle grease nipples, I removed the plugs, installed the nipple and then greased the joint, then removed the nipple and moved on to the next one. I greased the top and bottom ball joints while I was at it.

Then finally, I moved the 3 gauges from under the dash to under the heater controls. While the original location meant that they were out of the way, the issue was that they were too far out of the way and the steering wheel blocked the view. The left gauge is the tacho and illuminates when the car is running.

The new location is much better.


While in Knoxfield, I stopped by the VASS guys place to pick up the VASS stocker. This has been placed on the car and I await the paperwork for the VASS from him. This will be done this week.

That then brings me to the end of tasks for the roadworthy. I have booked the car in to get a roadworthy on Tuesday this week. Then I need to take the car to the Mustang Club registration coordinator in Melton and then onto Vicroads to register it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...