Saturday 5 June 2021

Dash, Gauge tunes install

 Back in one piece.

After a few weeks of waiting for parts and some clean up work on the dash, I was finally able to get the dash back together and reinstalled and it looks a treat!.


I tried to clean up as much as I could while the dash was out. I also had the crash pad out and cleaned that up.
As part of the install, I replaced the dash lens. The 71-73 Mustang is notorious for having poor dash illumination. So I replaced the illumination globes with LED ones. I left the factory blue tinge lenses in place. While the LED's are not dimmable, they are not too bright.

As the car does not have the deluxe dash, it only has warning lights for oil pressure and temperature. As part of the dash reinstall, I installed 3 gauges under the dash that are for engine oil pressure, engine temp and volts from the alternator.

I'm a firm believer in trying to keep things as original as I can and only change stuff that can be undone, so this means done cut wiring looms etc. As such, the gauge install was done by adding extra wires for the temp sensor and the oil gauge.

For the temp sensor, I replaced the original on/off switch temp sensor with a variable one that is compatible with the new gauge. For the oil sensor, I added a brass T to enable me to install both the factory gauge and the oil pressure gauge that is compatible with the new gauge.
I then sourced a plug that enabled me to plug the power and dash lights wires that are turned on with accessories via the factory radio power socket.
 
Here is the install.

The other task I completed this weekend was the install of a small and simple MP3 / Bluetooth / FM radio unit. As I want to keep the interior looking standard, I installed the new unit in the glove box.
I also replaced the glove box lining as the original one had been wet at some point and as they are made of cardboard, it had swelled and was rather yuk.

As the previous owner had installed speakers in the rear side panels just behind the seats, I will use these same holes. I have a new set of speakers for the task.
Here is the unit installed in the glove box. It has a remote, so if I want to change the volume, I can via the remote.


At present the unit is just floating in the glove box. I need to find a way to hold it down while avoiding damaging the new glove box insert.

The other job this weekend was to find out how to best install the rear seatbelts. So I continued to remove the rear trim from the back of the car. I spoke to another 71-73 mustang owner in QLD this week and he sent me some pictures of his install.
While I plan to continue to use inertia real belts in the back as they are from factory, this gave me some ideas as to how to mount the sash part of the belt.

Here are some pics of the back of the car with all but the head lining removed.


Fortunately the is ample metal work in the top part of the inner rear quarter and access space behind in to be able to put the mounting bracket they holds the seat belt nut.
I plan to install the belt retainer in around the space where there is a large hole with the small one just above it. The factory interior in this location is cardboard so simple to drill through. I will talk to the VASS guy on Monday to make sure that he is happy with using this sheet metal. I'm sure it will be fine..

The front belts are on order, and I expect to receive them this week. I went with black as my car has standard trim and no belt upgrades so the factory ones would have been black.

Once I have spoken to the VASS guy, I will order the back ones also.

Once the belts are installed, I'm down to 4 tasks to complete before a roadworthy.
Front end alignment
Replace exhaust system
Replace gearbox tail shaft seal
Repair rust in the bottom of the rear quarter.

So getting there slowly.. Looking forward to going for a cruise....... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...