Tuesday 1 June 2021

More door and rubber seals

 One more step in the right direction.

Over the weekend I found that the 2 rubber grommets were missing from the front foot wells under the carpet and sound deadening. So I ordered a grommet kit from Griffs in Ballarat. These arrived the next day via express post.


The next trick was to figure out where they all go. The bottom left 2 look to be correct for the front foot wells, but the same size is also present in the boot of the car.. So I have taken some pictures and asked via the 71-72 Mustang forum for advice as to what goes where.



This is one of the 2 in the boot area.

I also installed the 2 long ones in the back of the car that covers the tops of the shock absorbers and a blank section.

As part of the same order with Griffs, I also ordered the rubber seal that goes on the B pillar that joins the bottom of the rear quarter window. The window in my car does not move, but I'm told that if a 71-73 Sports roof car is ordered with power windows, then the windows do go up and down. 

The old seals were fairly hard and damaged. Here are the before pictures.



Here are the after pictures. I will change the screws so they all match.


The next task is to reinstall the dash and set up the wiring for the additional engine water temperature gauge and the engine oil pressure gauge.

Then I will look to replace the door seals that run along the bottom of the front doors.

I installed the boot seal over the weekend and opted to not glue it in to see if it would stay in place. Time will tell. The boot is now fairly hard to close but this is due to the new seal. So it hopefully will compress over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...