Saturday 8 July 2023

Window winder handles

 Finally found the right knobs

For a while I have been looking to find the correct colour for the window winder knobs in the Mustang and then once I found the right colour, the next challenge was to find replacements.

Per this pic, the original clear knobs had got rather warm over time and had discoloured.


I found the follow line item at Custom Mustangs


So I ordered a a pair to find that the handle is correct but the knob is from an earlier model and does not have the star burst in the centre.


After a bit of discussion with the guys at Custom Mustangs, the also stock a '73 winder with the correct knob but the door end of the winder is not correct for a '72 as the disk that covers the screw will not fit.

So I decided to roll the dice and get a pair of '73 handles with the knobs that are riveted on to the incorrect handles and see if I could remove the knobs and use them on the new correct handles I purchased.

Once I removed the new knobs of the '73 handle I found that the knob end of the handle is the same as the original handles and wont fit the reproduction ones.
Here is a picture of the 3 types.
Both the original and the '73 knobs have been removed from the handle by drilling out the rivet.
The one on the right is the earlier version that the knob is not exactly correct.

So the only option I had was to use the original handle with the new knob from the '73 handle.
So I drilled out the centre of the new knob and cut a screw to length and used the pressure washer to enable the knob to spin





Here is the original handle with the new knob attached.

Here is the before and after knob on the handle.


Here is the winder installed.

I now have 2 x '73 handles with no knobs and a set of  '70 handles and knobs unused that I will look to return to Custom Mustangs.

Job Done!

Now to the next task.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...