Friday 9 September 2022

Repair / replace / repaint interior trim

 A fresh new look.

Ever since I picked up the Mustang I felt that the rear plastics needed replacing or repairing. Also the crash pad is black and should be ginger like the rest of the trim.

I managed to source original rear plastic trim parts from the US that were from a ginger trim car and in much better condition than those in mine.

The old trim parts are very sun damaged, chalky and pitted and beyond repair but mostly complete. The previous owner had also cut speaker holes in them. Here are the old trim parts now removed.












The new / old panels had some colour fade and some chalky parts but significantly better than the old. I managed to get some paint colour matched to the backs of the new / old panels and asked a good mate who is a car spray painter to paint them for me.

While I was at it, I also striped down the mini centre console that I had previously painted with the wrong paint that was chipping. I also removed the crash pad and asked him to paint that also.

I'm and super happy with the end result.


Here are the parts ready to install.







Here is a comparison from the old to the new.


Here are the parts installed.
I also installed new (repro) sail panels that go from the plastic panels to the roof line.




Here is the new crash pad and centre console installed.


Next step, inlet manifold and carby replacement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...