Monday 14 June 2021

All about timing

 Distributor adjustment and electronic points.

Per my update from yesterday, I added WD-40 to the distributor where it goes into the block to tray and get it to move. The timing of the engine is way to advanced for it to run right at about 25deg BTC at idle and then with vacuum advance it was advancing over 35 deg.

I managed to get the distributor to move by tapping it with the handle of a large screw driver. I managed to get the timing back to about 8 deg BTC. At this timing it seems to idle nicely but still has a slight miss.

I then decided to add the Pentronix Ignitor electronic points to the distributor. After some issues with it not working and an issue with arching at the coil, I managed to find solutions to the challenges and got the electronic points to work perfectly. 

The slight miss is gone and the car starts instantly on the turn of the key even when cold.



My next task for the day was to make a start and clean up the surface rust in the boot / trunk.
I found that where the seam sealer putty was put in place from factory, large parts of it had slightly come away and there was a fair bit of surface rust under it. Mainly between the tail lights. I set about removing as much as I could and cleaning the surface of the boot with a steel wheel on the end of a drill. 
It is now ready for some anti rust treatment and then paint. Before I finish this, Nev and I will work on repairing the rust in the bottom of the rear quarters. The left side has a few holes and not too bad. Unfortunately the right side has been repaired before and has a few large holes.
The plan is to just fill it for now with bog to get it on the road and then look at a more premiant fix later.






Once the rear seat belts arrive this week I will reinstall all the back trim. Then the only tasks to complete is exhaust and the rust repair.

Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Engine flooding / running rich issue.

Engine flooding / running rich issue. I have been chasing an intermitant issue with my Motorcraft 4300 (square bore) for a few months now. I...